Charitable Gift Annuity
Many people have a heart to give to ministry but they still need income today. Focus on the Family can provide you and/or a loved one with a secure source of fixed income payments for life through a Charitable Gift Annuity. A residual amount will be left to Focus as a charitable gift, upon the maturity of the annuity contract.
Benefits of a charitable gift annuity
- Receive fixed income payments
- Receive an immediate charitable income tax deduction
- Further the ministry of Focus on the Family for years to come
How a charitable gift annuity works
A charitable gift annuity is a way to make a gift to support Focus on the Family.
- You transfer cash or appreciated securities to Focus on the Family.
- In exchange, we promise to pay fixed payments to yourself or another annuitant that you designate for life, and a portion of each payment will be tax-free.
- You will receive a charitable income tax deduction for the gift portion of the annuity.
- You also receive satisfaction, knowing that you are helping further the mission of Focus on the Family.
If you decide to fund your gift annuity with cash, a significant portion of the annuity payment will be tax-free. You may also make a gift of appreciated securities to fund a gift annuity and avoid a portion of the capital gains tax.
Immediate charitable gift annuity. With an immediate gift annuity, you may transfer cash or appreciated securities in exchange for our promise to pay you fixed payments beginning as early as this year. You will receive an income tax charitable deduction this year for the value of your gift to Focus on the Family.
Deferred charitable gift annuity. Perhaps you are not ready to begin receiving payments until a future date, such as when you retire. With a deferred gift annuity, you establish the gift annuity today, receive a charitable income tax deduction this year, but defer the payments until a designated date sometime in the future. Best of all, because you deferred the payments, your annual payment will be higher when the payments start than they would have been with an immediate gift annuity.
Flexible deferred charitable gift. With a flexible deferred gift annuity, you retain the flexibility to decide when the annuity will begin making payments. As with a deferred gift annuity, you establish the annuity today and receive a charitable deduction this year, but the payments are deferred until such time as you elect to begin receiving the payments.
If you have any questions about charitable gift annuities, or would like to request a free personalized illustration, please contact us. Our Planned Giving team would be happy to assist you and answer your questions.